LIFE | ON HAVING A LOT OF MAKEUP

ON HAVING A LOT OF MAKEUP - THOUGHTS - CassandraMyee

As I am sat here taking a lot of blog photos of the products sent over by PR companies and brands (which I am so thankful), and bits that I have bought myself, I was struck by this overwhelming sensation to write out some thoughts that I have been having for a while about the judgements passed on those who love makeup and own a lot of it.

I write about beauty here (note: it's not my main income earner and I have a full-time job outside of this); my Instagram feed is packed with makeup and beauty products and I post three times a week on CM, often times featuring new products. Not often do I feature things multiple times as I like to keep it fresh and interesting, and I also have a lot that I want to share and review for you all. I'm not sure why, but lately I have been feeling guilty for owning so much makeup. In some ways, I feel as though I am made to feel bad for loving makeup like I do and spending my own money on it. I get comments like "You don't need that much makeup" or "why do you keep buying more makeup!?" quite regularly and I really don't like that attitude at all. Some people might own a lot of shoes or clothes, or collect things like stamps (do people still do that?!), or other such things - why should my love and interest of collecting makeup be looked down upon? I enjoy it, in fact, I love it. And yes, I am guilty of spending a lot of money on products, sometimes it might be the packaging that draws me in and not necessarily the shade inside, and I am a sucker for limited edition things. For example, I love limited edition M.A.C (especially the lipsticks) and for me, I see it as a sort of collector's item, so what if I only use it once or twice? For me, it's like creating a makeup archive. The main point here is that what I spend my money on is no one else's business, as long as I can pay the bills and rent etc, what I do with the rest is my prerogative (cue the Britney Spear song!)

ON HAVING A LOT OF MAKEUP - THOUGHTS - Limited edition MAC Lipsticks - CassandraMyee


There has also been a lot of the whole decluttering 'Magic of Tidying Up', Marie Kondo hype going around. I haven't read the book, but my boyfriend has and I know many others who have read it too. I do like the principles of it and have certainly been trying to declutter my life and trying to have less 'stuff' but I am a 'stuff' kind of person. I'm certainly no hoarder, but I do enjoy having things I like around me; things that bring joy to me or inspire me. When it comes to makeup decluttering and clearing out, I have employed this method a little bit, but I still have drawers fill and frankly, I like it that way. Don't get me wrong, if products are getting old and looking or smelling a bit dodgy I will throw them out (but maybe not the limited edition stuff...)

Some of these feelings have been stirred on by Instagram where I feel a bit guilty for posting a lot of Colourpop photos, for example, comments like 'another Colourpop haul?!' actually really get to me. What I spend my money on is my business and what I share on my own Instagram is my choice too. Lately, I feel like I should be posting less about Colourpop, but really why should I?! I love the brand and I love the products, plus they are extremely photogenic and I love creating an aesthetically pleasing flatlay! I don't want to be feeling dictated by what I should and shouldn't post for the fear of people passing judgement. I have recently done another Colourpop haul but I was getting worried to post it for fear of people saying 'you don't need any more Colourpop!', but to hell with that - I will post what I like so expect that haul coming your way soon.

I'm not sure whether this is all making sense but it's some thoughts I've been struggling with lately. From now on, I am not going to care about what other people might think, or the judgment they might pass. Makeup for me is exciting; it's constantly evolving and I love having this 'platform' to be able to share things with you all and help you make some well-informed choices on what to try and buy and spend your own hard earned money on. Some might not understand, but that is ok because I am sure they are into things that I might not understand either.

This was more a little pep talk for myself and a brain dump to just get some things off my mind. But I would love to hear whether you get this sort of judgement, or feeling like this also? Share your thoughts and opinions on this matter in the comments.

bloglovin' | facebook | twitter | instagram | pinterest

Comments

back to top