SMASHBOX COSMETICS | Fade To Black Photo-Op Eyeshadow Palette in Fade In - Review + Swatches

SMASHBOX COSMETICS // Fade To Black Photo-Op Eyeshadow Palette in Fade In - CassandraMyee

In my recent Beauty.com haul here, I predicted that this palette would become a fast favourite and boy, did it do that! It made the cut for my July Most Loved and it's about time it got the spotlight it deserves on CM.

SMASHBOX COSMETICS // Fade To Black Photo-Op Eyeshadow Palette in Fade In - CassandraMyee

SMASHBOX COSMETICS // Fade To Black Photo-Op Eyeshadow Palette in Fade In - CassandraMyee

Smashbox was never a brand that I felt overly strong about; I mean, I had heard a lot about their products but I have never been totally enticed by what they offered. But that all changed when I was making my first Beauty.com order and I came across this particular palette in the sale for only USD $21.00, and I couldn't quite believe it. The Fade To Black collection was released in Fall last year in the US, with two palette offerings, Fade In and Fade Out (funny that!)

SMASHBOX COSMETICS // Fade To Black Photo-Op Eyeshadow Palette in Fade In - CassandraMyee

The palette itself is beautiful; the slim and sleek ombré black to purple packaging pleases me greatly. It would make a pretty spot-on travel palette as it contains seven shadows, with four matte and three shimmery shades. There are no sponge applicators around here, and it comes equipped with a mini red handled fluffy brush that is the perfect companion for blending the shades onto the lids.

SMASHBOX COSMETICS // Fade To Black Photo-Op Eyeshadow Palette in Fade In - CassandraMyee

The shadows are intensely pigmented and have amazing blendability. In the pan, they do have a bit of fallout, but if you just gently tap your brush off then it doesn't end up where it isn't wanted. The Fade In palette is a bit of a one-stop shop, the four matte shades cover your cream, light brown, medium brown and dark brown wishes, and have great pigmentation for matte shadows. They are extremely soft and remind me a lot of my much loved Urban Decay Naked Basics. The three shimmery shades are equally as amazing; there is a light golden taupe, and a black packed with gold glitter, and perhaps the most intense and pigmented from the seven is the khaki green that has golden shimmer through it. I never thought it would be a shade I would go for, but it is stunning and works so well with the brown tones of the rest of the palette.

I only have amazing things to say about this palette and I am amazed at how cheap I managed to get! Unfortunately, it has sold out on Beauty.com (I am not surprised!) but in NZ you can still purchase both the Fade In and the Fade Out for $85.00 each, or check the Smashbox counters at Life Pharmacy, you will not be disappointed!

Do you own many Smashbox products? Is this a palette you would happily add to your stash?
back to top