TRAVEL | A Few Days In Wellington


I recently went up to Wellington (in New Zealand) for a couple of days to go to Te Papa museum to see the Warhol Immortal and Colour & Light Impressionists exhibitions. I love Wellington and lived there for 3 years when I was at Uni, now living back in Christchurch I love popping up there as the city is so great. I just couldn't miss the Warhol exhibition and luckily for me the Impressionists show was happening at the same time in a small cross over window. As an art lover and art history student this was really exciting for me to see some of the works and artists that I've studied. I've chosen a few pics to sum up my trip!



First stop was the Maranui Cafe for some breakfast - I had eggs benedict with bacon - YUM!



TRAVEL | A Few Days In Wellington - CassandraMyee

What I came for - the art! The Andy Warhol exhibition was absolutely amazing, a wide range of works, from his university sketches, to his short films taken at his famous Factory as well as the classic pop art canvas of politicians, actresses and the like. My favourite pieces were the large 8 series of Marilyn, in a range of amazing colours and also a huge canvas of Andy's face simply screen printed bright blue on a black background  - breathtaking!

The Colour & Light couldn't have been more different from the Warhol exhibition, but was equally as breathtaking! There were a couple of works from Monet, Cezanne, Degas and Pissarro - some of the heavy hitters of that period - amongst a huge range of other Impressionist artists. It was an amazing collection and I found it quite overwhelming - in a good way - seeing the works in the flesh rather than on a computer screen is a completely different and amazing experience!






After spending a few hours at Te Papa I walked around the waterfront and Civic Square, one of my favourite places in Wellington. It was such a beautiful day, I was lucky and had great weather for the few days I was there. 


My first taste of a cronut from Brooklyn Cafe - and my god it was AMAZING! A deep fried croissant, in a doughnut shape, cream filled and coated in sugar - um does it get much better?!


Cuba Street - full of amazing op shops, small galleries, cafes and funky window displays.


Lunch at one of my favourite places - Espressoholic.



Lastly, I had to stop at the best lolly shop - Nic Nacs. They have an amazing pick and mix selection and lollies from the UK and USA.

I also did a spot of shopping as well, and a haul post will be up tomorrow, so stay tuned for that!
back to top