ARE LUXURY LIPSTICKS WORTH THE PRICE?

ARE LUXURY LIPSTICKS WORTH THE PRICE? - CassandraMyee

There's something pretty special about an expensive tube of lipstick. For some, you may only own one or two, for others, higher end lipsticks might make up the majority of your makeup collection. There's no doubt though, that the first swipe of a new lipstick can definitely up your mood. But is it worth splurging on a $50+ tube of lipstick?

ARE LUXURY LIPSTICKS WORTH THE PRICE? - CassandraMyee

ARE LUXURY LIPSTICKS WORTH THE PRICE? - CassandraMyee

These are three new-ish lipsticks to my collection which I wanted to feature as they are some of the more luxurious ones I own. I am definitely one to buy from more affordable brands; some of my favourites for lipsticks are Maybelline, Chi Chi, Rimmel, Colourpop, and Wet N Wild (the Megalast Lipsticks are so amazing, see them here), just to name a few. But, oh boy, do I love a luxury lipstick, I am also a bit of a sucker for the packaging, let's be honest here.

ARE LUXURY LIPSTICKS WORTH THE PRICE? - CassandraMyee

So what do I make of the three above from the high-end realm?  It was my first time trying a lipstick from Marc Jacobs and I went for the New Nudes Sheer Lip Gel in Role Play (NZD $43 from Sephora NZ/USD $30. I initially thought this was going to be sheer as it says on the packaging, but it's definitely not sheer and actually packs a lot in the pigmentation department. It glides on like a dream, very smooth, creamy and comfortable on the lips. But it's not that long lasting, however, I do find I reach for it a lot. The shade is much like many others on the market, but something about this formula really grabs me. The packaging I like also, with a unique oval shape outer, a satisfying magnetic closure so it 'snaps' in place when you hover it over the top, and it is all just very beautiful.

YSL instantly springs to mind when I think high end. From the opulent gold packaging, there's no denying they are covetable, to say the least. I felt very adult when I bought my first YSL lipstick, one of their Rouge Volupte in Shade 1 Nude Beige (see it here). Here is a lipstick from the Rouge Pur Couture The Mats range (NZD $66 from Smith & Caughey's and Farmers/USD $37), I think it's a beautiful shade but honestly I did expect a lot more from it. I expected a matte finish, but it is more on the satin side of things and doesn't last terribly long on the lips. Don't get me wrong, I think it's such a lovely lipstick to use and wear, but for the price, I would have hope for a bit more oomph perhaps. Personally, the packaging is the winner for me, but the actual lipstick could be better.

Finally, I have one of the NARS Audacious Lipsticks in Anna (NZD $54/USD $34) out of the three featured this one totally wins in the formula department. It's a super smooth and creamy formula that is opaque in one swipe. They have a satin finish on the lips and last the best out of the three. As with all NARS packaging, the black is very sleek and these have that satisfying magnetic closure also. There's a huge variety of shades in the range too.

Obviously, there are brands that sell lipsticks for a lot more than this, but I think you can't go wrong with 'drugstore' affordable lipsticks, but it is always nice to have a few special lipsticks. Stick with what's in your budget, do your research, and even head to a counter to try them out and even try them on (obviously, make sure they are sanitised!) And if you are a beauty obsessor/collector like me - you will likely want to 'catch them all!' Remember though, many of the high-end brands are owned under one big brand, i.e. L'Oreal owns YSL, so sometimes the formulas/ideas trickle down to the more affordable brands, but are just packaged differently. 

Are you a luxury lipstick fan? What are some of your favourite brands?

bloglovin' | facebook | twitter | instagram | pinterest

Comments

back to top