JELLY PONG PONG | So Susan Wide Awake Palette - Review + Swatches


As a blogger of predominantly all things beauty related I feel like I know or could recognise a lot of different beauty brands, but there are those oddities that come along, such as Lollipops Paris and the lipsticks I scored for only $3 - I'd not heard of the brand but they really impressed. The particular brand in question today is Jelly Pong Pong, and yes that is actually the name of the brand!

If you are new to these parts, you may not have seen my previous posts from last year all about Sample Bar which was a beauty subscription box service here in NZ that closed down at the start of this year. As they were shutting down I decided to use up some of the points/reward dollars I had accumulated and got a few things from the online shop and this interesting palette was one of them.


As I really jumped in the deep end with this one, it took a bit of research to find out a bit more about the brand. On the Sample Bar shop, it was under the brand Jelly Pong Pong but it is also actually the brand So Susan - both are obviously owned by the same person, they have two separate websites but they have similar products. The brand is based in the UK, but they ship out to the US and Asia and you can read a bit about the owner Susan Chyi. Funnily enough in the recent Violet Box for July, I got a mascara from the brand So Susan!


The palette itself is a pretty slim one, with just a simple cardboard exterior and magnetic closure, the overall design is cutesy and I find the font so difficult to read (just write it out in a clear font!) Inside there is a large mirror which is a plus.


At first, I was pretty confused by the whole palette, but the aim is to brighten and illuminate to make you look more 'wide awake'. It includes two cream products in the form of an Illuminating and Highlighting Cream and three different shades of brow powders. You also get a small paddle brush, quite good as a packing brush for shadows, and a pair of tweezers.


ILLUMINATING CREAM
This is designed for under-eye circles and works like a colour corrector, with the pinky/salmon tones helping to counteract dark colours. The creams need a little bit of warming up in the pan, which I do by just swirling my finger in them, that helps them to glide on smoother and the cream dries down to almost powder finish. It's best to go light with this as it can look quite heavy, and it seems to cancel out darkness slightly.

HIGHLIGHTING CREAM
When I think highlighting, I think shimmer but this particular cream highlight is just a simple cream colour, more like a concealer. It says to tap this along the cheekbones and the brow bones to accentuate them, but I don't think it really does a good job along the cheekbones but does work under the brow bone. The best use for this is actually as an eyeshadow base, as it gives a hint of coverage to even out the lid colour and it helps the shadows to adhere a bit easier to the lid.


EYEBROW SCULPTOR
On looking at the eyebrow powder in the pan, they sure don't look like shades I want to be running through my brows. And then once I swatched them I knew that these would be going nowhere near them - they have shimmery, glittery pieces in the powder! If they were matte colours I think they would be amazing as it includes shades that should work with most brows and ones that could be mixed, but really, who wants to have shimmer through their brows?! Despite that, I actually think they make pretty nice eyeshadows and using the highlighting cream as a base works well with them.

So this was an odd one overall, quite interesting to use and I definitely don't use any of products for their intended purposes, but for other makeup jobs, they work alright. If you are interested in this palette you can get it for USD $17.46 and they ship worldwide, or from the Jelly Pong Pong website for £15. You'd be better off using the So Susan website as it seems much easier to navigate, and also cheaper (very strange...)

I want to know if you have ever heard of this brand before or tried any of their products? Or let me know of some weird and obscure makeup brands you might have used in the past.
back to top