My Travel Makeup Bag #004


So these Take A Peek posts are becoming a bit of a tradition on CM, with instalment numero four coming at you today. This was the makeup I packed when I traveled up to Auckland late in May (blogged about it here) and naturally it was hard to narrow the makeup choices down, so I ended up with a rather hefty makeup bag. I was away for five days, so surely it's justified right...?

Of course, I packed a few old favourites and travel must-haves but there are some newer editions that I have been enjoying that had to come along with me.


PRIME
I couldn't be without my Benefit Porefessional Primer and this mini sized one I have is the perfect size for traveling with. I've really been into eyelid priming as well, so I brought along my mini Too Faced Shadow Insurance Anti-Crease Eye Shadow Primer which helps to keep my shadows lasting all day.


BASE
The Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector BB Cream for Oily/Combination Skin (review here) is my favourite for a lighter base that still gives me the coverage I need. I find it blends out well, covers redness and lasts well on the skin. For a more heavy duty base, the Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation in 103 True Ivory gives great coverage and has some serious lasting power on my oily skin. It has a pretty thick mousse texture that I find blends out better with clean fingers to ensure it doesn't look to cakey on the face.


CONCEAL
This is a trio of concealers that just gets the job done. The Revlon ColorStay Blemish Concealer in Light blends so well and is perfect for covering dark spots and blemishes. The Collection Lasting Perfection Ultimate Wear Concealer in Fair does double duty as a spot concealer but also as a super brightening under-eye concealer that can cover the darkest of under-eye circles. For the days when I don't need such an intense under-eye brightening, the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Treatment Concealer covers under-eye circles quickly and it applies and blend out so easily.



SET
I have been enjoying doing a bit of the powder-before-foundation trick (c/o Wayne Goss), and the MUA (Makeup Academy) Matte Perfect Loose Powder in Translucent is great for that and also just a good all round setting powder. For on the go touch ups and more precise setting (esp. around my nose) the Benefit Porefessional Agent Zero Shine Powder does the trick (full review here). For under the eyes, there is only one thing for it the e.l.f. Studio High Definition Undereye Setting Powder to prevent creasing and prolong the concealer wear. Once my whole face is done I always do a good couple of spritz of the e.l.f. Studio Makeup Mist & Set, a staple in my makeup bag.



CHEEKS
Choosing cheek products is always a hard one, as I just love my blushes. One thing that always comes travelling with me is the Sleek Face Contour Kit in Light (review + swatches here), that includes a great matte bronzer and champagne highlighter. For blush I think I did pretty well and only packed the Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 hour Blush in Amused (more on that here) and the Tarte Cheek Stain in Fearless (review here). These are two of my favourite blushes at the moment, so they had to come along.


BROWS
It is always easy to pack my brow products as I have only a few current favourites that give me the perfect brows. The Australis Eyebrow Pencil is Dark Brown is hard enough that you can build up the shape without it looking severe, but gives clean and crisp looking brows. The BYS Brow & Eye Pencil in Blonde is great for running through and adding a bit of colour and definition and to set it all in place the Benefit Gimme Brow in Light/Medium not only sets, but gives more volume and tint to the brow (full review here).



EYES (PART 1)
The eyes category is always a difficult one to not over pack in, and if I could I would bring all the palettes with me, but instead I went for a fave, the Stila In The Light Palette (review here). That covers the gorgeous shimmers and also mattes, but I always like to pack the Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette (of course there is a review on that one here) as it has all the basic neutrals and a highlight colour in one compact palette. As an all-over base the Maybelline 24hr Color Tattoo in Barely Branded does the job well (see it here). For liners, I really only need two and they come in the form of the Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal in 005 Nude, a must for the waterline and the e.l.f. Waterproof Eyeliner Pen in Black that has my liquid liner needs covered.


EYES (PART 2)
Why pack one mascara when you can pack two, right? I am giving the e.l.f. Lengthening & Defining Mascara in Black a go at the moment and it does well for more everyday, less intense lashes. But when I want full on lashes, there is only one and that is the Benefit They're Real Mascara, which gives super thick, black and long lashes.



LIPS
Another category I find it hard to pack lightly in! I tried to go for a bit of a range so I had all bases covered. The Revlon Colorburst Matte Balms in Showy and Elusive (raved about here) are perfect for matte lips with a good hit of colour, and for my everyday pinky nude it is of course, MAC Cremesheen Lipstick in Creme Cup (see it here). A great balm is the EOS Smooth Sphere Lip Balm in Pomegranate Raspberry, which smells delicious and hydrates the lips. For glosses (which I am surprisingly liking at the moment) I brought a pink in the form of the NYX Butter Gloss in Eclair and a nude in the Hourglass Extreme Sheen High Shine Lip Gloss in Child, both non-sticky and lovely on the lips.




THE TOOLS
I can't go anywhere without a bag full of brushes as well, and these are all the brushes I need to get the job done. I'll name them in sections starting from the top.

TOP ROW [L to R]:
- Real Techniques (RT) Buffing Brush - My must for buffing in foundation.
- RT Contour Brush - I use it for blending in concealer under the eyes and around the face.
- RT Powder Brush - The biggest and best fluffy powder brush.
- RT Setting Brush - I use it with the e.l.f. HD Under-Eye Setting Powder as it sweeps perfectly under the eye area.
- RT Blush Brush - The perfect blusher brush, picks up the perfect amount of product and blends it out evenly.
- RT Multi-Task Brush - Great for bronzer, powder or blushes.
- QVS Curl Wonder Lash Curler - Gotta curl those lashes!

BOTTOM ROW LEFT SIDE [L to R]:
- e.l.f. Studio Eyeshadow 'C' Brush - Packs on pigment perfectly.
- e.l.f. Studio Small Smudge Brush - Good for blending shadows close to the upper and lower lash line.
- e.l.f. Studio Contour Brush - I use this for placing eyeshadows in the inner corner.

BOTTOM ROW MIDDLE [Top to Bottom]:
- e.l.f. Studio Stipple Brush - The perfect brush for applying cream blush; it picks up product and blends out with ease.
- e.l.f. Studio Complexion Brush - My must have brush for all over bronzing.
- e.l.f. Studio Blush Brush - Not used as it is intended, but instead it perfect for contouring those cheek bones.
- eBay Yachiyo Brush (here) - I love this brush for applying highlighter to the tops of the cheeks.

BOTTOM ROW RIGHT SIDE [L to R]:
- RT Essential Crease Brush - Fits into the lid crease perfectly and helps to blend out shadows.
- eBay 217 Brush (here) - The blending brush. All you need to say about it.
- eBay Jessup Domed Shadow Brush (here) - Great for placing base shadows all over the lid.
- eBay Jessup Tapered Shadow Brush - Just another useful eyeshadow brush to have.
- Unbranded Spoolie Brush - To brush through the brows to make sure the hairs in place.

And that concludes all the items from my travel makeup bag #004; it may seem like a lot but I can get it into a pretty small makeup bag and it fits perfectly in my carry on.

Let me know what products you can't live without when you're travelling and things that always make their way into your makeup bags.

Comments

back to top