CREAM BLUSHES | My Favourites + Tips & Tricks

CREAM BLUSHES // My Favourites + Tips & Tricks - Rimmel London, Napoleon Perdis, Almay, MUA, Tarte, Australis, Topshop - cassandramyee

For a very long time I was terrified of cream blushes, I didn't know what would be the best way to apply them so they would look natural and lumping a bunch of cream product onto my cheeks seemed like a daunting task, so I just stuck to good old powders. But after a bit of trial and area [and cheeks that were worthy of clown status] I feel much more confident when it comes to cream blushes and they have fast become my favourite way to blush - they provide a more natural appearance and last a bit longer than the powder counterparts.
Cream blush comes in a variety of shapes and sizes. Some I find need a slightly different technique to the next in terms of application, so I've rounded out some to give a brief overview of the art of cream blushes.

CREAM BLUSHES // My Favourites + Tips & Tricks - Rimmel London, Napoleon Perdis, Almay, MUA, Tarte, Australis, Topshop - cassandramyee


LIQUID
For me, these are a little harder to work with than stick or pan style blushes, and they do take a little bit to get used to. The best way to apply these is by dabbing a small amount with your fingers, tapping and blending as you go up along the cheeks. As you can see these ones are very potent in terms of pigmentation, so start small and build up as desired.

Rimmel Stay Blushed! Liquid Cheek Tint in Pop of Pink 001 [via. ASOS] - This is dubbed as a cheek tint, and initially it comes out of the tube looking very bright but it blends out very easily if you start with a dab. It has a very natural looking finish and the colour is gorgeous.
Almay Smart Shade Blush in Pink/Rose 010 - This goes along the same lines as the Rimmel one, with a squeezy tube and liquid blush. The difference here is that this one comes out white with specks of pigment through it and once worked and blended onto the skin produces the colour on the cheeks, hence it being a 'smart shade'.

CREAM BLUSHES // My Favourites + Tips & Tricks - Rimmel London, Napoleon Perdis, Almay, MUA, Tarte, Australis, Topshop - cassandramyee
STICK
Stick style blushes can often easily be applied by directly sweeping the colour onto the cheeks, or dabbing the colour on with your fingers or a brush (see below).

Tarte Cheek Stain in Fearless [via. Sephora] - I have a full review of this blush here and it has cropped up in my Most Loved as well. The packaging of these is adorable and is easily dispensed by pushing the bottom up. Although you can go ahead and use this directly on the cheeks I find using a stipple brush is hthe best way to apply it evenly.

CREAM BLUSHES // My Favourites + Tips & Tricks - Rimmel London, Napoleon Perdis, Almay, MUA, Tarte, Australis, Topshop - cassandramyee

CREAM BLUSHES // My Favourites + Tips & Tricks - Rimmel London, Napoleon Perdis, Almay, MUA, Tarte, Australis, Topshop - cassandramyee

PAN
Cream blushes in the pan are probably the most common form and some of the easiest to work with. As with the others they can be applied using your fingers, but my tool of choice is a stipple brush, in particular the e.l.f. Studio Stipple Brush.

Topshop Cream Blush in Flush [via. Topshop] - One of my number one faves from the bunch is this polka dotted offering from Topshop. It is a little drier than some of the others, but by stippling it on it helps to warm up the product and leaves a bright pink hit to the cheeks.
Australis Creme Colour for Cheeks & Lips in Dusky Rose - This one doubles as a lipstick as well and many of these you could double as lippies if you wanted. I love the deeper pink shade of this one and it is extremely creamy, easy to apply and blend easily.
Napoleon Perdis Cream Blush - I gravitate towards this one when I'm not feeling something to overly pink as this leans more towards the brown/nude side of things.
MUA Blush Perfection Cream Blusher in Bittersweet [via. MUA] - Don't be fooled by the cheaper packaging, or the super cheap price because this cream blush performs just as well as the others. It's super creamy, and blends out onto the cheeks like a dream. If you want a good foray into cream blushes, try these cheap options and go from there!

CREAM BLUSHES // My Favourites + Tips & Tricks - e.l.f Studio Stipple Brush - cassandramyee



Of course you have your fingers as a great tool to apply cream blushes but my best companion, and one I would recommend to you all, is the e.l.f. Studio Stipple Brush [via. Beauty Joint]. The duo fibre style means the white bristles pick up the product and the denser black bristles help to blend out the colour evenly onto the cheeks. It makes applying cream blush so easy and has made me appreciate them so much more. So what's not to love about cream blushes? They leave a natural dewy-ness to the cheeks, blend onto the skin with ease and generally wear better than powders and with the right techniques are so easy to use!

So what are some of your favourite cream blushes? Do you prefer them over powders?

[P.S. I just want to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone who has entered my giveaway, it was all very overwhelming yesterday and there is still 13 days to go!! And hello to all my new followers!]
back to top