FEELING SICK? | My Makeup Tips

FEELING SICK? // My Makeup Tips - CassandraMyee

Last week I was hit with an extremely nasty bout of the flu, which couldn't have come at a better time - uni started back after the mid-semester break, which meant a test and an essay due, all at once. I've been through about four boxes of tissues (thank god for aloe vera ones) and have a nasty smoker's cough going on right now, but in my bed ridden state last week I was inspired to write this particular post - makeup tips for when you feel like s**t and actually have to leave your house and act slash look like a normal person.

FEELING SICK? // My Makeup Tips - CassandraMyee

Obviously my first advice would be to stay in bed with a big bottle of water and your YouTube watch later list, but sometimes you just gotta work through the sickness. Missing my test on Wednesday just wasn't an option (I do actually want to graduate at the end of the year!), so I slapped on some makeup and I've rounded out some tips to help you disguise the flu-face and to perk you up a bit.

FEELING SICK? // My Makeup Tips - CassandraMyee
GO FOR A LIGHT BASE
The last thing I wanted to do was put on a heavy foundation, and with all the dripping nose and tissue wiping happening, it was all going to get rubbed off anyway. Go for a BB Cream or tinted moisturiser to help even out the skin and add a bit of coverage without it feeling awful and uncomfortable on. Garnier BB Cream Miracle Skin Perfector or the Moisture Mist BB Cream* give a good amount of coverage without really looking like you have too much on the skin.
The most important thing to focus on is under the eyes - brighten this up and you'll look 100x more awake, and you just can't beat the Maybelline Age Rewind Eraser. Using a waterproof nude or flesh coloured eyeliner (I love the Rimmel Scandaleyes in Nude) along the waterline will instantly make your tired eyes look like you've had a good nights sleep, when in reality you were tossing and turning and coughing every 5 minutes.

FEELING SICK? // My Makeup Tips - CassandraMyee
ADD SOME COLOUR
Generally when you're not feeling 100%, it shows in your skin, lacking in any natural flush or colour. Using a natural toned blush, like a peachy pink or coral with a hint of shimmer in it will instantly perk up the complexion and add some life to your cheeks. My top pick is Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso - this blush does wonders for the cheeks, even when your not sick! Benefit Rockateur and MAC Trixie Sheer Shimmer Powder are both natural pinks with a hint of glint to perk up the cheeks.

FEELING SICK? // My Makeup Tips - CassandraMyee
FAKE A GLOW
Much like adding some colour to the cheeks with blush, highlighting will help give you back the glow you are most likely lacking. A dust of this will give the face some light and a bit of dimension without looking too OTT. The Balm Mary-Lou Manizer is my ultimate fave, but for something subtler Makeup Revolution Vivid Baked Highlighter in Peach Lights is a winner too. A good liquid option is Benefit High Beam and looks the most natural on the face.

FEELING SICK? // My Makeup Tips - CassandraMyee
FOCUS ON THE LASHES
Skip the eye shadow (because ain't nobody got time for that when you feel sick) and just curl the lashes and slap on a few generous coats of your favourite lengthening and volumising mascara. Benefit BADgal Lash gives long, fluttering and natural lashes, and the Maybelline Define-A-Lash is perfect for getting the pesky bottom lashes. Rimmel Volume Flash Scandaleyes Mascara gives great volume and blackness to the lashes.

FEELING SICK? // My Makeup Tips - CassandraMyee

TINT/STAIN THE LIPS
Don't fuss around with lipsticks, instead go for something that is hydrating and give you a hint of colour. Pinks will always look the most natural, and both the Maybelline Baby Lips Color and Baby Lips Dr. Rescue moisturise the lips and give sheer subtle colour. A balm stain like the Wet N Wild Megaslicks Balm Stain in A Stiff Pink or Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Lovesick are no fuss, easy to apply and give more pigment to the lips than the Baby Lips offerings and will leave a stain lasting for hours. Swipe a bit of the Linden Leaves Lip Balm* over the top for extra hydration.

And with those tips, you'll be walking out of the house feeling like crap on the inside but hopefully look well and healthy from the outside [bar the constant sniffling and coughing...]!

What makeup products do you reach for when you're not feeling your best and need a pick me up? Any top tips?

*Products sent to me.
back to top