EMPTIES | April '14 + Reviews

I am always so surprised by the end of the month to find how many products I actually use up! There are the usual suspects from my skincare routine (The Body Shop Tea Tree) and a couple makeup items, as well a few older makeup items that definitely needed a throw out even though they aren't empty yet. It's a long one, so I am just going to crack on with it.


001. Covergirl LashBlast Clump Crusher Mascara in Very Black
I really loved this mascara, as evidence it has popped up on CM many times as well as being in my first ever Most Loved I think! It has finally dried up and come to an end (although I was in denial, as this probably should have been thrown out a month or so ago, at least!) It did as it said and crushed the clumps (good one, Cass), you could pile this on to your hearts content and there would be very little to no clumps and it gave great length and volume to the lashes. I would totally repurchase this if I didn't already have another 5 mascaras on the go!

002. Maybelline Dream Pure BB Cream for Oily Skin
Along with the Garnier BB Cream, this is one of my favourites. I use it under foundations, or on its own; I find it gives light coverage but just helps to even everything out and diminish any harsh redness or discolouring I may have. As it is designed for oily skin, it does dry down to matte finish and with 2% salicylic acid in it, it is also acting to treat any blemishes at the same time. I have already repurchased it, as it is so affordable and works great for my oily skin.


003. Benefit The Porefessional Primer
Now it was a sad day when I rung out the last bits of my beloved Porefessional. After resisting for so long in purchasing this, I finally caved (see haul here which I ordered just before Christmas last year) and now I couldn't imagine my makeup routine without it. It does the best job in filing in my huge pores then other primers I have tried (or though a close second is the Too Faced Primed & Poreless), and it helps to even out my skin before adding BB cream, or foundation on top. It has that silicon feeling to it and is lightly tinted giving a hint of coverage. I have a few mini tubes of this to get me by before I will absolutely go and purchase a full size!

004. BYS Brow & Eye Pencil in Blonde
I've mentioned this many times on here as it is one of my favourite brow products, a) it is super cheap, around $7, and b) it fills in the brows super quick. The product is quite waxy so it stays put all day, you can go through with the slanted tip on the longer end to fill in the front part of the brows and then use the thinner end when you get closer to the tails. This products is brows in seconds - great when you're in a rush! I've already brought another and am likely to continue buying it over and over...


005. Living Nature Manuka Honey Gel for Trouble Spots
I won't spend long on this, instead I will redirect you to a full review I have done here. It did a great job at treating spots; but I am haven't brought another as currently my skin is in pretty good shape [touch wood] and I have a couple other spot treatments I want to finish up - but this is a brilliant one and great if you are conscious about using natural and NZ grown skincare.



006. Neutrogena Makeup Removing Cleansing Towelettes Night Calming
If you have read other Empties posts from me, you'll know I rarely ever stick with one brand of face wipes and generally just go for ones that look good, or are on special. I would probably buy these ones again as they had a lovely scent (meant to calm you down, but not too sure about that) and it removed my makeup well without excessively drying out the skin or leaving any weird residue. Lately though I have been using the Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water (in yesterday's Most Loved) which is working amazingly, so I only use wipes on the odd occasion (travelling slash sheer laziness).


007. The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Lotion
I don't think I can go through a month without finishing up at least one product from the Tea Tree range from The Body Shop. It is my go to skincare, and it has seriously done wonders to help clear up my skin so I am going to be using it until something even better comes along. I use this as my day cream; it is extremely light and helps to keep my skin matte for longer. As it is going into winter I am looking at trying a slightly heavier option, but I will most likely go back to this, as I know it works well.

008. The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Foaming Cleanser
Oh, what a surprise! Another Tea Tree product! Now this one has lasted me yonks! I got this way back in September (early blogging days for me!) and have been testing or using other cleansers through out, but it has been nearly 7 months and I only just got to the end! The pump helped to control how much you use, with one pump producing a good amount of foam to use, so I think that is why it lasted so long. With cream cleansers sometimes you get too much, or too little and it is not very standardized, but the foam like ones seem to be great at giving you the perfect amount needed every time. I really liked this cleanser and in conjunction with the rest of the Tea Tree line has helped to clear my skin up greatly. I'm giving the Cool & Creamy Tea Tree cleanser a go at the moment, but would buy this again.



The other day I was having a makeup sort out/clean out and these last five products I've had sitting in my makeup draws for a while now and they definitely needed to be thrown out. I probably don't do it often enough, but it is a really good idea to have a good clean out every now and then.

009. Model Co. Fibre Lashxtend Extreme Black Lengthening Mascara
This was a magazine freebie and actually a really good mascara, I was going to use it but found it totally dried up unfortunately. It had fibres in it which help to add length and volume to the lashes. For a freebie it was darn good. You can't buy Model Co. here in NZ (only online, I'm pretty sure), but as I said earlier I have at least five other mascaras open so I don't need another.

010. Maybelline Cover Stick Corrector Concealer
I can't even remember how long I have had this for and that is probably a good sign I should throw it out. I don't even know if Maybelline still make it anymore. It actually didn't even look like I used it - it is green so to counter act redness, but I can't give you any review on it really because it was so long ago!

011. Maybelline Dream Smooth Primer
Now this is a least 3 years old and the first primer I actually brought! It is actually pretty much empty, and was due to be chucked out. It is very silicon feeling and extremely slippery and it probably did me no good, especially with my oily skin!

012. Collection 2000 Pressed Powder in Translucent
This is basically ancient! This was way back when the now, Collection was Collection 2000 and apparently it was available at the tiny pharmacy in Akaroa. I do remember buying it (just not the year/date) but it was way before I even knew about the brand and I probably didn't even know how to use it properly!

013. MUA Mosaic Bronzer Natural Glow Shade 1
Lastly is the very sad looking bronzer from MUA, not only is the outer packaging looking disgusting the actual bronzer it self did not look happy. It is extremely shimmery, and packed with glitter so I wasn't using it anymore (I am all about matte bronzers now) but was nice dusted lightly on the upper cheeks to give a bit of bronzey glow. I imagine this was super cheap, so I had no worries about throwing it away.

Phew, April Empties was a long one and a lot of products have found their way into the rubbish bin, only to make way for new ones - it really is a viscous cycle!

Have you used any of these products? Any you can't live without?

Comments

back to top